Monday 27 June 2022

The things you learn when you have no 'wifi" - Part 2

As I ventured out to explore New Zealand recently in a van, I discovered that I didn’t have access to the “wifi” in the way I expected to. This meant that the many ways I was so used to connecting with people were now cut off for me. Yes, I could have paid a premium for the privilege, but was on a budget, so I decided to see if I could travel around NZ without having “wifi” at my fingertips. We rely on it for navigation, music, booking accommodation, finding petrol and food stops, weather, booking attractions and general communication. So, this was my challenge, to live simply and see what I could discover. 

 

There was a lot I didn’t miss, but I realised how much difference a few days can make in the world. Interestingly, I reconnected after a while to find that Australia had a new prime minister. But for me, more importantly, it is so nice to connect with my loved ones. With no ‘wifi’ most of the time, when I was able to find free wifi, it was often limited.  It was really important to know how to make the most of the small amount of data you might get. I loved stopping at a cafĂ© along the road, with no idea where I was, to zoom in with some special friends for a chat. It was such a blessing. I know connection is important, especially when it is limited, and you feel like you might not be able to do it again for a while.  The nights were the hardest alone, I must admit. I sat in a petrol station in the dark at 9pm one night, at 2 degrees temperature, just to connect with my kids and my mum. I was glad I could and I appreciated it so much more because it wasn’t an easy thing to do and was the only way to connect for a short time. 

 

Mostly, when you disconnect from “wifi” and that fast pace of the “ping”, it helps you slow down. Sometimes the space and the silence can be scary, but it is so important to allow the silence and slow pace to lead you. 

 

“The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still”. Exodus 14:14

 

 I feel like He has been trying to teach me this for a long time now. I know I have been guilty of filling the silence with sound and activity, in order to numb my mind from thinking, processing and feeling at times. But on this trip, I needed to engage in that space, slow down and allow God to heal me in those quiet places. To allow the gaps for God to speak into. He is my safe place and has been my shelter in the storms, so I am thankful for the time I choose to spend with my Father in Heaven.  

 

Ps 37

5 Open up before God, keep nothing back;
    he’ll do whatever needs to be done:

Quiet down before God,
    be prayerful before him.

 

34 Wait passionately for God,
    don’t leave the path.
He’ll give you your place in the sun

 

37 Keep your eye on the healthy soul,
    scrutinize the straight life;

 

39-40 The spacious, free life is from God,
    it’s also protected and safe.
God-strengthened, we’re delivered from evil—
    when we run to him, he saves us.

 

 

Connection is the key to life. But knowing what to connect to, when to connect and who to stay connected to is so vital for life to the full. So, when it is limited and hard to find, who do you most want to connect with?  Where do you run and find comfort and healing?   Who is it that you want to share with about the things you have experienced and seen along the journey that day? We all need those people in our lives and we need to make them a priority. We need to be brave enough to cut out all the nonsense voices that don’t matter and send us off on paths that lead nowhere. 

 

The van life with no ‘wifi’ certainly breaks down what is ‘really’ important. It teaches us what and who you can live without and what and who you can’t live without. I know it is important to live like this all the time, not just when in a van.  So, the challenge is to not let the craziness of the world flood back in when I return to home and to continue to make good choices along the way and find the still and quite spaces to hear His still, small voice guiding us all along this crazy pace we call life. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment