Monday 7 April 2014

Holistic discipleship - Part 2



Let's continue to look at this important passage in Luke 2, early on in Jesus life, so that we might be reminded of the deep and lifelong journey that TRUE discipleship is. We find Jesus in the Temple with the religious leaders, while mum and dad were on their way home. Once they realized he was missing, they came back looking for him.


Vs 48–50  - Jesus said to his mother “Didn’t you know where I would be?”  The parents didn’t understand what He was saying,


I like this statement. It reminds me of the faith of a child in direct comparison to the adult mind that often works by rules and expectations. They were probably feeling a little irresponsible at the time. They needed to pull out the “parent card” and prove they really were the “bosses” in this situation. As a parent, I get that. I would have felt the same. Jesus’ innocent response was priceless, I can just hear His sweet voice, “didn’t you know where I would be?” I can hear the apology in the tone, and yet I can hear the blind faith, that Jesus felt, as He just HAD to be at the feet of those talking about His father.

I am reminded of the "little one's" in Matthew 18:6 as Jesus as a man called them. He used them as an example of the ones being "teachable" and "growable" according to Him. 

Ever been in that situation when your children see things so much clearer than you. If we are open, this will happen often. I am sure we all have a story of when children have had a much more simple view than us that has challenged our belief structure or worldview. I remember asking a young girl I have been mentoring for a long time, why she thought of "all" the girls we had seen come and go over the years, why had she stayed? Why was it that she had got stronger and stronger in her faith, when the others hadn’t, even though they had the same opportunities as her? The inner struggle for me as a leader, wanted to know the answer to this question as I long to see more people walk closer with God. If I can just find the formula, then I would use it to help all children (people) not fall away. Selfishly, I was thinking she would say, the loving environment, the teaching that I had given her over the years etc… was why she was so strong.  What she said still puzzles me to this day and messes with my belief system as a leader and what our role is on this journey. She said “I might be way off base here, but I think from a young age I have always been open to God, when others haven’t. I would often say to them to turn towards God when they were struggling, but many didn’t, they made other choices”. Too simple?  I have to be honest, I didn’t like that answer. The adult in me wanted to dispute this simple view. But I didn’t and it still makes me assess, what we are called to do as leaders/mentors and what we must let go of and let the Holy Spirit do.

When we are never together on the discipleship walk when do those opportunities present themselves to have the conversations and listen to the simple faith of our young ones?


Vs 51  - Jesus went back home and lived obediently with them.

Jesus was respectful and obedient of His parents. We don’t see here a disrespectful, cocky young man who clearly had insight that his parents didn’t have. This is not often the case with our young people today unless……. there is “relationship” and “collision together” often enough to build a strong repore across the ages.  There are older people in our community, that initially you might easily write off as “grumpy old men”.  I have watched our young people give them respect, even when they are grumpy at times, and treat them with open hearts and kindness. As a result, it has gone both ways, as I have watched the grumpy men soften as the young people listen lovingly to their stories. We need to create more holistic environments where this can occur. It not only is what Christ talks about when he speaks of TRUE COMUNITY, but it also strengthens everyone’s “discipleship” walk with God.

Vs 52  - Jesus matured, grew up in both body and spirit, blessed by both God and people.

In a sentence you see the holistic nature of how Jesus grew up. Notice that it doesn’t say “He learnt the Old Testament scrolls off by heart” or “He learnt the skills of being a great preacher” or “He followed the path of a good Jewish boy, and his credentials gave him credibility to become the Son of God.”  No, His discipleship was holistic and intergenerational, a balance of learning and doing, with others and with God. What could that look like today as we seek to disciple the people we are called to walk with, in the lifelong journey of Discipleship?

Discover more with those that continue to ask this question at www.collide.net.au






No comments:

Post a Comment